Rainbow Children Trust
We would like to mention Lerato’s main funders with a few words. Rainbow Children Trust has been the main financial donor for Lerato for nearly 20 years.
Founded in 1999, RBC’s main aim is to raise funds through a network of private donors in Germany. RBC supports grassroot-level non-governmental organisations (NGOs) and empowers them financially through training (bookkeeping, the non-profit organisation (NPO) registration process, etc.). The RBC’s mission is to serve as a funding vehicle for projects that aim to alleviate poverty and provide quality education and healthcare to children and the youth.
Apart from the smaller NPOs that are supported, the main projects that are funded by RBC currently are:
- Lerato Educational Centre with all its projects
- A support programme for high-school learners.
- Providing various student bursaries.
- Facilitating learnership programmes in the South of Joburg and Soweto (Soweto Business Hub) as an extension of Lerato Educational Centre.
Challenges with the learnership groups led to the idea of creating a business centre:
- It was difficult to find suitable training facilities.
- Learners who completed programmes found themselves in a situation where starting a business was virtually impossible (lack of affordable office space; no access to further training, mentoring, funding and networking).
- It also turned out that other NGOs and small community forums find it difficult to find suitable meeting spaces.
Soweto Business Hub addresses these challenges by offering a dynamic space where a community of young entrepreneurs and small business owners can prosper. It is envisaged that, once the Soweto Business Hub is financially secure, similar business centres based on the same funding model would be established in other townships or even rural areas with even higher poverty levels.